“I just started an elephant and rhino protection club,” she tells me.
“I made the sign up sheet this morning. We are going to raise awareness about elephants and rhinos by maybe doing some bake sales and other fundraisers.”
Abby is one of just six pint-sized hopefuls remaining on chef Gordon Ramsay’s prime time cooking competition.
The outspoken fourth grader quickly became a fan favorite with talk of her plans to open a combination restaurant and veterinary clinic — and wowed judges Ramsay, Graham Elliot and Joe Bastianich with her adorable use of jellybeans in a pie making competition.
Abby — who loves skiing and homework (but hates missing school) — began cooking when was barely out of diapers.
“I have been in the kitchen my whole entire life,” she says. “But I really got into cooking when I started watching cooking shows [on TV]. CHOPPED was always my favorite show to watch.”
>>RELATED STORY: ‘MasterChef Junior’: Natalie’s Other Skills Will Amaze You
>>RELATED STORY: ‘Masterchef Junior’s Oona: ‘I Get Paid $5 To Cook At Home’
Here’s more of what the talented young cook shared in our exclusive interview:
Abby, your style rocks — where do you get all the cool headbands?
My mom usually gets the headbands for me so I don’t really know where they come from. But my dad actually did my hair while we were in L.A. [filming the show]. I don’t wear headbands all the time, but I do always wear them when I cook so my hair stays out of my eyes.
You are obviously a big animal lover. Do you have any pets?
I have a German Shepard dog named Lesca and a Beta fish named Sky. My favorite kind of animal, though, is a horse. Horses are strong and majestic and I think they are, besides dogs, man’s best friend.
If you could cook dinner for any celebrity in history who would it be and what would you cook?
I would cook for George Washington Carver and I would make Thai peanut noodles. I would pick George Washington Carver because we are learning about him in school and peanuts are a really big part of Virginia.
(click images to enlarge)
Other than pie, what are some fun recipes you can use jellybeans in?
I think that if you put jellybeans on ice cream, it is the best thing in the world! Vanilla ice cream is really the best because then every bite has a new flavor, but I would say any ice cream is perfect for jelly beans.
Do you get an allowance?
I don’t get an allowance, but if I did I would probably save all my money for college.
Do you have any brothers or sisters?
I have a brother named Thomas and a sister named Finley. I am the oldest.
If you could make one rule that everyone had to follow, what would it be?
Be friendly to everyone — even if they are not your friend.
Speaking of rules — what’s one rule that your parents have for you that you really don’t like?
I am fine with all the rules really – there is not really a rule that I dislike. But sometimes when I have to go to bed (I like to read at night) I get in trouble for staying up too late. I get in bed at 7:00, but sometimes I read until 9:30! I don’t really keep track of the time.
Tell us your favorite silly joke…
Okay! Knock Knock (Whose there?)
Billy Bob Joe Petty (Billy Bob Joe Petty who?)
Seriously?! How many Billy Bob Joe Pettys do you know?
Ok, Abby, fill in the blanks:
* Three words that best describe me are… careful, funny, bouncy
* My favorite thing to eat for breakfast is… pancakes, waffles, omelettes and breakfast burritos
* My most prized possession in the world is… a baby doll named Baby Darling and a stuffed elephant named Ellie.
* If I found $100 on the street, I would… either try to look for the person who dropped it or save it.
* If I were President, I would… declare every Tuesday as “Ice cream day.”
* If I could be any animal it would be… a horse.
* My favorite song right now is… any song by Katy Perry
* The song I am really sick of hearing is… LET IT GO! I am not really sick of hearing it, it just gets stuck in my head very easily.
* My favorite TV show is… CHOPPED
* My favorite junk food is… jellybeans
* This year I am asking Santa for… a chameleon.
MASTERCHEF JUNIOR airs Tuesday nights at 8:00 PM on Fox.
Latest posts by Sean Daly (see all)
- Sherri Shepherd: I Will Never Go Back To ‘The View’ - January 18, 2017
- ‘This Is Us’: NBC Renews Its Best Drama For Two More Seasons - January 18, 2017
- ‘My Kitchen Rules’: Lance Bass Wants His Own Cooking Show - January 16, 2017